10 THINGS YOUR POOCH SHOULD NEVER EAT FROM EXPERTS BUTTERNUT BOX

Posted: 9th May

We know what your dog is like: they see what you're eating and they want it. Classic. Most of the time, you can indulge them and give them a little nibble. Some foods, however, should stay far away from your pooch. Spoiler alert: delicious Butternut meals do not feature on this list.

Chocolate

Everyone loves a bit (or a lot) of chocolate. However, whether your go-to bar is dark, milk or white, they all contain something called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. White chocolate contains the least amount of this toxin, meaning it may not cause any harm, but dogs can still get sick from all the sugar and fat. So it's always best to keep your pooch away from chocolate - more for you to enjoy.

Avocado

An avocado... [no] thanks. It may be a brunch staple these days, but it shouldn't be on your dog's menu. The leaves, fruit and seed of an avocado contain persin which can result in diarrhoea and vomiting. However, small amounts of the flesh itself shouldn't do any harm as a nutrient-rich snack. If you do treat your dog to a few slices, make sure to supervise them. Not only because the rest of the avocado is poisonous, but it's also a choking hazard.

Onion

Onions and all of their family members (shallots, chives, garlic) are toxic to pooches. Whether raw, dry or cooked, they can all cause gastrointestinal irritation and damage to red blood cells. It only takes 100 grams of onion per 20kg of a dog's weight to cause toxic effects, meaning if a 20kg dog ate a medium onion, they would experience high toxicity levels. If your pooch does happen to eat some, it may take a couple of days for the signs of illness to come about - so keep an eye on them. Avoid onions - and the stinky breath that comes with them.

Grapes and raisins

Both grapes and raisins contain an unknown toxin that can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure in dogs. Raisins are in lots of our favourite foods: cake, biscuits and cereal, so whilst the toxin is unknown, it's best to steer clear when it comes to your pooch. If your dog is after some fruit, stick to blueberries or cranberries, or even banana in small amounts.

Milk and dairy

On a hot day, we all enjoy ice cream to keep us cool. But no matter how many looks your dog gives you when you open the freezer drawer: keep them away from the dairy. Milk can cause diarrhoea and other digestive issues as well as causing skin irritations. Instead, give them a bowlful of fresh water. Simple.

Nuts

Some nuts, like cashews, are pawfectly suitable for dogs in small quantities. Others, however, can cause serious issues. Salted nuts like peanuts can lead to water retention issues, whilst nuts like almonds are a potential choking risk. The worst nut to feed your pup is macadamias. They contain a toxin that affects your dog's muscles and nervous system, causing weakness, swollen limbs and panting. Look out for symptoms like muscle shakes, vomiting, weak back legs and a high temperature.

Fat trimmings and bones

Cooked bones can splinter easily and block your dog's airways, as well as causing cuts in their digestive system. They can also cause constipation, so all in all it's best to steer clear. However, raw, uncooked bones, are fine for you to give to your pooch as a chew - just be wary of the fat around the bones, as it can cause health concerns such as pancreatitis. If you want to treat your pooch, perhaps look elsewhere.

Alcohol

We all know what alcohol can do to us, so imagine the harm it can cause your dog. Even a small amount can cause them to become intoxicated - leading to sickness, diarrhoea and even damage to their central nervous system. Unlike some nuts and bones, dogs never need or want alcohol - so keep it far away.

Coffee and caffeine

Caffeine is within coffee beans, grounds and brewed coffee and is very toxic and dangerous to dogs. Even a small amount can be life-threatening. If your dog needs some extra energy, take them to the park or give them their favourite toy.

Xylitol

Sweet treats, chewing gum, some peanut butters and fizzy drinks can be laced with xylitol, an artificial sweetener. This sweetener causes an insulin increase in our bodies, but in our pooches, it can cause them to go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure, seizures and blood clotting disorders. Even a small amount of this can cause serious harm, so be sure to check the ingredient list before treating your pooch.

This list may seem a little intense, but your pooch's health and happiness is always the most important thing - to us and to you. If your dog does ingest any of the above, we'd advise getting in contact with your vet immediately before doing anything yourself. Our meals will never contain any nasties, so if in doubt, stick to your Butternut meals and treat your pooch with some baked biscuits or treats. A happy Butternutter = a happy life.

WITH THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS & PARTNERS

Dogstival is supporting

Hear what we’re Barking about

Sign up to our emails and keep your nose to the ground on all the Dogstival happenings.

SIGN UP NOW

BUY TICKETS